Monday, December 1, 2008

Funny, You Don't Look Sick!

There are just some conditions, like chronic pain, and the incurable and obnoxious bladder condition that I live with called interstitial cystitis, that are just invisible to the public. Looking at me, you would think I was just hunky dory healthy, especially if I were in an extremely cheerful mood that particular day. While this can be a blessing, it can also be a curse. Someone standing in a grocery store line would most definitely think of letting a person check out in front of him if, for example, she were pale, skinny and bald, say, from chemo. He might think that this cancer chick needs to get home fast and lie down. But it would appear absurd for me to expect someone to look at me all apparently healthy and cheery, and let me butt in front because in fact I am in great need of a couch and a toilet, although not necessarily in that order.

I actually own a small laminated card that says something like The person carrrying this card is suffering from a condition that requires IMMEDIATE USE of a RESTROOM. This is supposed to be helpful in ladies lounges with long lines, say at the ballgame, when I need to go fast or else get very wet. Thankfully, I have never used the card, but I may have to someday.

Here are some more pain sites I copied from the ICA website. I just copied them, so I don't know yet if they will actually link. I hope so. Also, I hope this may be of hope to anyone that is needing to reach out to get help with her chronic pain.

Pain Relief: A Wealth of Useful Online Resources
Looking for information about pain management? Check out the following online resources:

  • Partners Against Pain, developed by Purdue Pharma, provides online tools for pain assessment, all located within an easy to navigate website. With the goal of helping to alleviate unnecessary suffering by advancing standards of pain care through education and advocacy, the site provides resources for patients, caregivers, and healthcare providers.
  • Emerging Solutions in Pain (ESP) is an ongoing educational initiative developed to address some of today's most critical issues in pain management. These issues involve balancing fundamental rights of patients and clinicians with the challenge of risk containment for opioid misuse, abuse, and addiction. Site features include patient and physician educational materials. Currently, the ESP Ask the Experts site section features an audio presentation by ICA Medical Advisory Board member, Daniel Brookoff, MD, PhD.

Help from Nonprofit Pain Organizations:

American Chronic Pain Association
ACPA@pacbell.net
Phone: 916-632-0922, 800-533-3231

American Pain Foundation
info@painfoundation.org
Phone: 888-615-PAIN (7246)

National Pain Foundation
npf@nationalpainfoundation.org
866-590-PAIN (7246)


So what does any of this have to do with knitting?

Well, don't ask me about how I think I wrecked Mark's scarf by wetting it to block it! It stretched out rather badly. I think I should have read up on blocking before I started... I will definitely not supply you with a picture of the scarf POST-BLOCKING.

It's December. Let's get through the holiday season and still be

Closely Knit,


Carol

No comments:

Post a Comment